Thursday, 15 October 2009

Railway Songs

With the mention of Kenny Roger's Gambler in an earlier entry I couldn't help noticing how many railway songs seem sad.

There's Kenny's other favourite "The Green, Green Grass" which mentions
"The old hometown looks the same
As I step down from the train
And there to meet me is my mama and papa
And down the road I look and there runs Mary
Her golden lips like cherries
It's good to touch the green, green grass of home."
And you might think that's cheery until you listen to the rest of the song and realise that he's dreaming and when he wakes he will remember that he is about to face the Death Sentence.

I can also think of "Midnight Train to Georgia" which isn't the world's cheeriest song, although at least they go back to live happily ever after.

On the other hand I've never seen Starlight Express but according to the wikipedia entry that seems to have a happy ending. And we cannot forget "Chatanooga Choo-Choo" - that's quite cheery (and you can even go to Chatanooga and stay in a Holiday Inn Railway Carriage!)

If anyone has any ideas feel free to add them in the comments

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you ever been to the presbytery of St Joseph's in Bonnybridge? It is a train buffs dream come true. Very close to the railwayline, infact we had 4 at one stage, now just 2. I'm sure the new parish priest would make you more than welcome.

PG said...

It is making me jealous. I know that some of our members have been there, one at least is in the same deanery. I am sure that Fr Dow will get round to inviting us all to see the trains.

Anonymous said...

Why not ask him? Perhaps he does not know about your group. I hear he is very approachable.

berenike said...

The Singing Kettle's "Train to Glasgow" song?

Bob said...

I'm afraid that I've never come across that Singing Kettle song, although I'm sure its great.

Whilst searching for it on youtube I found a Billy Connolly song about Glasgow Central

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv4qYcbB0zI

PG said...

Berenike - I presume that if its a singing kettle song, its probably one to put in the happy column rather than the sad.

Bob - I hope that you keep to clean Billy Connolly stuff and not try and spread some of his other stuff around here!